Intentions For The New Year // 2014
Resolutions never really pan out for me (or most people actually), so instead I intend to work toward certain goals. Jasmine Star put up a great post yesterday on how to set goals. She has her list broken down into Dreams and Dos. For example, this year one Dream is to stop drinking soda again. The Do will be substitute with water. Easy enough (we'll see). Some take more effort.
What if my Dream is to blog everyday in 2014? What will I Do to make sure that happens? Write posts in advance. Have each day of the week be a certain topic. Make a schedule of posts. Have a list of potential topics ready. Graphic designer Karen Kavitt recently made printable Don't Break The Chain calendars so you can see the entire year on one sheet. Each calendar is for a different activity. You mark off every day you do the activity. The more you mark, the less likely you will want to break the chain. That would be a great way to make sure you post a blog post everyday. The problem with a goal like that is sometimes life happens and you don't have the time or anything to write about. You'll feel like you've failed because you skipped a day, then one day turns into a few which turns into a week and before you know it, it's been two months before your next blog post.
That's why I intend to blog more. I don't want to give myself the strict schedule of blogging every day but I could add in more topics that are more than just "hey, look at these new photos I've taken of the pretty models!". Bring back my Link Roundups. Maybe do outfit of the day posts (that's scary). Add more of my personal life so you guys get to know me a bit more.
Listed below are a few intentions I have for the new year. It will be a constantly evolving list. Some things may be taken off the list, some will be added.
- Read more. I slacked so bad last year. I need to finish the books I've started ad start reading new series. Here are few lined up for me.
- Eat better quality food. Don't confuse with that with dieting. I eat a lot of junk and it's time to cut out the crap literally and start making my own meals with higher quality ingredients.
- Get on a better sleep schedule. This staying up until 3am for no reason is not cute.
- Upgrade my camera equipment. This girl wants to switch to Canon.
- Do Couch to 5K again to get ready to run a 5K.
- Try new DIY projects. Create something with my hands.
Some of these next ones are scary and are "travel" related. As most people know, I don't know how to drive. I truly believe its in humanity's best interest that I do not drive but as my friend Nic said, "what if I was trying to kill you but you had my car keys and could drive away, would you be able to drive?" I said I guess I would be dying then. I may never want to drive but at least I would know how. So here goes the my list of travel related goals, from scariest to not scary at all.
- Learn to drive. With the combined efforts of my dear friend Becky and my boyfriend Ben, I may actually learn how to drive (automatic and manual!).
- Learn to ride a bike. This could be the most embarrassing of them all because what 30 year old does not know how to ride a bike. This girl can't. I remember when I was younger my mother trying once and then quickly giving up. I guess I was that much of a lost cause. Becky said she will teach me this one as well.
- Learn to ride a skateboard. I had a skateboard but I'm assuming it was stolen from the side of my house.
- Go camping. I actually agreed to do this last summer with Ben but it never happened. This actually scares me more than riding a skateboard.
- Get a passport. I've never been on a plane. I've been cross country and to Canada but only by car. Actually getting in a plane is scarier than driving...
You may have noticed none of these have to do with work. Working for yourself tends to make your whole life revolve around booking shoots, editing, and marketing. Not having set hours for work means answering work emails at 1am or editing photos in pajamas in the middle of the day. I should work on getting my work schedule in order and designating time that is just for me and no work can be done in that time.
These are some of my intentions for the new year. What are your plans for yours?