Review // Colourpop Ultra Matte Lip
I was on the train going from Providence to Boston when I placed a random order with Colourpop. I just finished reading the article comparing the Kylie Lip Kits with Colourpop. It says essentially they are the same product and way, way cheaper so I went ahead and checked out their website. The only product I had from them was their Creature Lippie Stix from their collaboration with Feral Creature. I didn't have the lip liner since someone else gave it to me so I wasn't the biggest fan. It didn't stay on at all.
That leads me into the review. Oh my goodness, buy the matching lip liner. For. Sure. You need it. And before the lip liner even has the cap off you need to moisturize the hell out of your lips. A few swipes of chapstick isn't enough. After I tried out Guess with matching liner, Nevermind, it felt like I had to keep reapplying. It cracked a bit so I was nervous on what state it would be when I got to where I was going. Finally I felt confident enough leaving the house and walking to my friend's store up the street. It lasted pretty well but my lips felt pretty dry and I didn't like how much I had to reapply.
I didn't have much to do that Saturday before I went out so I then tried on Dr. M without lip liner to see how it applies without. Big, huge, colossal mistake. It went everywhere and I felt like it was going to stain my skin. Cracked all over the place. I then realized the lip liners aren't just some ploy to get you to buy more, you need it if you want this stuff to stay on your face. I then took it off and exfoliated my lips with a natural face scrub. That's when things got good.
That night I was going out for my friend's birthday party so decided on wearing the more wearable color, Rooch, from the Karrueche collection. With the exfoliation and moisturizing with regular basic chapstick, it stayed on all night (with matching lip liner of course). I was really pleased with how it stayed on and felt. Much more comfortable than the first two tries. It lasted through of night of sipping on drinks. Hours later when I got home aside from a bit of loss on the inner part of the lip, it was pretty much still perfect.
- Really, really cheap. Compare to Kylie Lip Kits at $29 and an ultra matte lip and lip liner is $11 total.
- With proper pre-love to your lips before application, it will stay on for hours. Believe me when I tell you lip products do not stay on me at all. I was blown away that it stayed on all night.
- They have all the colors in the world.
- You have to buy their lip liner. I really don't think that is much of a con since you would need to use a lip liner anyway for a liquid lipstick (please refer back to my mistake with Dr. M).
- They can feel very drying. Again, moisturize the crap out of your lips.
- The caps on the lip liners can't stay on worth a damn. I got red lip liner on a brand new light coloured wallet I got that same day I bought it. Major bummer. Also it took me way too long to figure out how to get more product out of it. It looks plastic and hence not sharpenable (is that a word?) but after looking up reviews, you can sharpen it.
I also bought a brow pencil in Black N’ Brown and a creme gel eyeliner in Swerve. I like both of those products as well. From what you can see in my order details below for the price of one and a quarter Kylie Lip Kits I got eight products ($5 off for signing up to be on their email list and free shipping). Not a bad thing if I have to say so. Now I haven't tried the Kylie Lip Kits but my friend Tezz did so check out her review here. Have you tried either Colourpop or Kylie Lip Kits? Do you have a favorite? Should I try to get a Lip Kit?